Films (Recently Viewed)

• nabraxas 说...
    • 用户
    • 2011年 8月 5日, 22:12

John Cage documentary directed by Peter Greenaway

The subsequent 6 parts are available to view on Youtube.

Those that hear not the music, think the dancers mad.
    • BoT___ 说...
    • 用户
    • 2011年 8月 8日, 17:19

I finally made it through a film.
    It's been a while; all previous attempts this week to watch a movie were miscarried. Sometimes cinema bores the fuck out of me (those who know me know that I prefer to read), but this one held my attention for the duration.

Obviously NOT an intellectual mindbender, but it's worth the time. If you like this you'd probably like Rubber, mentioned earlier in the thread.

He who cannot learn to fly higher should learn to fall faster.
    • BoT___ 说...
    • 用户
    • 2011年 8月 12日, 7:03

Well, I finally caught up with the times...

• rooie666 说...
    • 用户
    • 2011年 8月 12日, 10:52
    I saw the ending of 'the edge' with Anthony Hopkins last week. It was on the telly again and i really enjoy the last part of this movie. I have seen it several times but only the last half hour or so. Is it wortwhile to look for that movie to see it completely?

Dus.
    • rooie666 说...
    • 用户
    • 2011年 8月 12日, 10:54
    Oh and Anton Corbijns Joy Division movie Control was on as well. That one i recommend.

Dus.
    • BoT___ 说...
    • 用户
    • 2011年 8月 12日, 16:23

• nabraxas 说...
    • 用户
    • 2011年 8月 15日, 0:51
    One of the shorts I watched last night, in part of the DVD collection of cult filmmaker Jim Van Bebber:

• BoT___ 说...
    • 用户
    • 2011年 8月 16日, 1:05

Watched this with the kids / spouse today. Good dance music!

• nabraxas 说...
    • 用户
    • 2011年 8月 16日, 2:05
    Stomp! I had the good fortune of seeing them live when they came here : ) A very lively show indeed.

• [已删除用户] 说...
    • 用户
    • 2011年 8月 20日, 7:46

• rooie666 说...
    • 用户
    • 2011年 8月 21日, 3:39

In flight entertainment yesterday

I tried to watch Thor as well, but that was too much rubbish

Dus.
    • BoT___ 说...
    • 用户
    • 2011年 8月 29日, 7:38

Ram Dass : Fierce Grace

This is a profoundly moving film documenting the journey of a man who, through his various works, has profoundly moved me.
    Weep worthy.

• ok__ 说...
    • 用户
    • 2011年 8月 30日, 17:03

• nabraxas 说...
    • 用户
    • 2011年 9月 2日, 23:06

• thelenius 说...
    • 用户
    • 2011年 9月 5日, 21:35

Korean Madness by Kim Ji-Woon. Very violent and intense movie, but not stupid. Choi Min-Sik (Oldboy) is truly frightening as a mad cold blood killer...

• BoT___ 说...
    • 用户
    • 2011年 10月 1日, 22:22

Precious (again....)

• BoT___ 说...
    • 用户
    • 2011年 10月 2日, 4:08

For Colored Girls

Watched this in two sessions at Fred Meyer (grocer). I was touched deeply, enough so that some of my own abusive behaviors (and some of the monsters I've known) rose to the fore and allowed me to examine relationships in an array of new lights. I love these women!

• nabraxas 说...
    • 用户
    • 2011年 10月 28日, 1:24
    • [已删除用户] 说...
    • 用户
    • 2011年 10月 29日, 10:05
    I finally watched The Tree of Life and what a great film it is. Next film on my to watch list:

• nabraxas 说...
    • 用户
    • 2011年 11月 2日, 20:21
    I enjoyed watching Burning Palms last night.

It seems to have gotten a lot of either love or hate from audiences and I blame/credit this with it's subtle use of nuance throughout the film, never overtly shocking yet always teetering on the edge of disconcert. Black humor abounds, though it's punchlines are felt more like little annoying pokes in the face of life... I think that many of the more critical 'moviegoers' might have found it pretentious or contrived, but I thought it was pretty funny in that 'under the breath' snickering way. Also, due to what I thought was good acting throughout and the little cultural jabs delivered consistently by the story, my mind's eye was able to keep well greased.

• BoT___ 说...
    • 用户
    • 2011年 11月 7日, 23:10

Broken English

I watched this and part of me is appalled that I made it all the way through... but I simply had to find out if she meets the guy again. There were moments of charm, a few smiles, one or two laughs, a few shakes of the head.
    Silly love.
    It afforded me a few moments reprieve from my own mental environment.
    It gets swampy sometimes.

A couple of nights ago I watched The Shining for the first time in my life. It wasn't as good as I had anticipated.

• BoT___ 说...
    • 用户
    • 2011年 11月 9日, 19:24

NORMAL

After twenty-five years of marriage a man (father, husband) decides to accept his inner woman and allow her to "come out." This creates uphaeval in the family, as you might expect, and friction in the community.
    Spoiler:
    How it ends shows the triumph of love over appearances.

• BoT___ 说...
    • 用户
    • 2011年 11月 11日, 18:09

Be careful with how you feel about your creations

• nabraxas 说...
    • 用户
    • 2011年 11月 12日, 10:09
    28 minutes into this one and I just had to pause and log on to SoS to vent : P

Ok, so it's called Buried. I've had it on my Netflix queue for a while and tonight I went into it knowing the central premise/hook of the film. Basically, it involves one character (portrayed by Ryan Reynolds) waking up in a coffin in the middle of Iraq and that coffin is where the entire movie takes place. So yeah, experimental... I'm always down for experiments. Anyway, this character happens to be equipped with a pen, a zippo lighter and a cell phone (*a resounding sigh of relief for the audience*) ... aaaand the well-greased plot is set into motion. So, I am actually into all of that, a challenging script with a very ambitious framing device that would likely send most cinematographers thumbing through their trade secret trick books...

BUT, here is the reason that I had to pause the film and come here before my brain popped: I am literally finding myself trapped inside of a box for an hour and forty minutes with an annoyingly contrived whiny opportunist 'American'. AAAAGH! Seriously (not to risk too much of a *spoiler* alert here) this guy has some fucking severe communication problems... I probably wouldn't be grimacing at the screen every 5 minutes during this if it were intended to be satirical or secretly sarcastic about the whole thing, but the audience is presumably expected to accept that this guy is 'doing what any of us would do' and it's making me want to hit something. No sympathy for the stupid.

SO, I actually DO recommend this film at least as a good commentary and a conversation piece. It has a well-defined angle and the pacing and aesthetics are cleverly executed, even if the character himself is insensible and borderline offensive and the whole concept of the film bleeds 'kitsch' (flip-flop flip-flop ;-P ) And there ARE actually some successfully humorous, self-mocking jabs injected into a few parts. Don't mistake my ramblings for a review. Thank you : )

*edit
    OK, I am now 53 minutes through the film and my perspective has shifted slightly since my initial piecemeal post. I am breathing a little lighter now. A little more dimension has been shed upon the one-and-only (visible) character in the film and the story is cramming as many mini-twists into it as possible without making me seasick. I am realizing that it was not meant to be as serious as I first supposed. Perhaps if I keep mindlessly tapping my fingers across this keyboard as I watch the movie, you can achieve a clearer view of it's conscious influence upon me... Ok, now back to the viewing. If I don't come back here to edit this post again after it's over then you should safely assume that... err, actually I am kinda feeling obligated to at least say something after this is over, if even just for confirmation that no new revelations have provoked significant bodily suggestions/objections from me.

**edit
    OK, as promised, the film is now over.

Hahaha, well for the record let it be known that I genuinely liked this movie! I'm not so sure if this means that I should rewrite this whole post now that it's over or... no, I feel like this document is pretty self-explanatory. This film and I have thoroughly conversed and our differences have been met....
    Anyway, since my last edit for this post, I have sorta agreed to deem this movie as being very 'Elemental' (with a capital 'E'). Within the contextual reigns of cinematic history, there isn't much to compare Buried with. On Youtube, I happened to note two user-drawn past movie comparisons, one being some film called O2 (Oxygen?) and the other being a film that I saw called Phone Booth (w/ Colin Farrell), both applying to the isolated protagonist/viewer, brain in box film theory etc...... However, this particular film is nothing like I have seen. A laboratory experiment with very controlled variables left to a very natural decomposition. Ok, if you haven't actually seen it, that probably sounds odd. This film, with it's defined symbolic taxonomy, has managed to directly reflect it's audience over an extended period by it's choice elemental employment. It is a psychologically inclined movie, in that it is obviously related from a [box], but also due to it's considerate organization of elements, be they color (an obvious motif throughout), modern social symbols, or basic human priorities (something that is systematically whittled down from start to end)........

So, I've already said WAY too much regarding this film, and I thank you/I'm sorry if you are still reading this...

• I watched Lars Von Trier's Melancholia a few days ago, I really loved it, especially the hypnotic use of Wagner's Prelude to Tristan & Isolde throughout the film.

匿名用户不能张贴消息。请登录创建账户后再到论坛发帖。