What is Prog not Frog?

• wilmon91 说...
    • 用户
    • 2008年 10月 26日, 1:01

What is Prog not Frog?

The banner that says "say no to progrockrecords...". made me confused. After browsing around I saw on the PNF forum that there has been controversies regarding the uploading of music by prog not frog. But I think the point is discovering new music, not aquiring music. There's a lot of obscure stuff I haven't even heard of. I need to hear it before I buy it. I like the instant streaming of songs on PnF. But I'm not one of those people that think that everyone has a "right" to download music illegaly as much as they please, and thrives in doing it. I'm against downloading music, but I listen to music for the sake of discovering and becoming aquainted with it. Because I listen to so much music, I take note of albums that are really good, or seem to be really good, and put them on a "to buy" list, and I buy albums when I have money. That's the proper aquiring of music, and it's another feeling to listen to an original album than to listen to internet radio or some mp3.

The banner here says that we should "say no to progrockrecords.com and mindawn.com". They are internet record stores, why should we "say no" to them? Well, that makes me wonder what viewpoint prog not frog has towards these things.

What does prog not frog stand for? Is it about the enthusiasm regarding listening to music, and of bringing to light rare, obscure, lesser known bands from all of the world, or is it a kind of filesharing community that hates record stores?

• Is it black or white?

PNF was und still is a chat room in slsk. And a blog and forum and...

For what it stands is and will be my secret.

Gordon Shomway is someone who equates music with money.

Shawn Gordon kills music
    • wilmon91 说...
    • 用户
    • 2008年 10月 29日, 21:41

Re: Is it black or white?

Thanks for the info.
    Real_Seebaer said:
    Gordon Shomway is someone who equates music with money.

So he is selling money? : )

Well, if I download an album, wich may happen, it never feels good, it feels more or less shameful. But at the same time I know I can't buy every record I'm interested in. It's the same thing with radio, you don't buy everything you hear on radio. And you can't turn on the radio and hope for some weird 60's avant-garde noise band from china to turn up, you have to find other sources. But I always aim to buy music that I think is great. So I have the deepest respect to record stores, and to the artists, of course.

I think that if you find yourself listening a number of times to an album in mp3-form that you've aquired without paying, the right thing is to buy the album. In some countries though, cd's may be a luxury and cost a fortune. Then you could only buy what you can afford.

The thing that I thought was a bit weird was that Prog not Frog is advising people not to buy from a certain cd-store. Now thats confusing. If there's a personal conflict between two people it's better to let it stay between those two people.

So what I meant with the question what does prog not frog stand for, was its moral values (not what the name stood for). I only support an open minded enthusiasm regarding music, not some lousy hobby of collecting and trading albums illegaly , just for the sake of downloading.

There are those that say that downloading without paying is the same as stealing, and there are those on the other side saying that all media is free and everyone has a right to copy and share what they have. I don't agree with any of those sides, I think it depends on each persons moral values, and the right way is somewhere in the middle, and everyone has to use their personal judgement and responsibility.

• Well I/we - Prog Not Frog ( am i pnf?) aint against downloading. We had some pap discussions before and i dont want to open the case again.
    Love above gold.

Shawn Gordon kills music
    • wilmon91 说...
    • 用户
    • 2009年 1月 7日, 22:09
    I can understand that. But why have a strange message on the page that no one can understand, if not inquiring into it?

That was why I hesitated to continue to be a part of this group, because the message seems to be a part of what the group stands for.

It would be simpler to just keep the message and the group separate.

• wilmon91 说...
    • 用户
    • 2009年 2月 17日, 0:04
    If you could erase this topic it would be allright with me.

匿名用户不能张贴消息。请登录创建账户后再到论坛发帖。