论坛 » Feedback and Ideas

skip limit

• JTLDN 说...
    • 用户
    • 2012年 8月 21日, 10:36

skip limit

hate it.

was cool when you could browse someone's library for ages and discover new songs that you like (whilst skipping stuff you don't). now you've only got 5 skips unless you pay.

oh well.

• Maddieman 说...
    • 工作人员
    • 2012年 8月 21日, 10:45

Why can’t I skip more than six times in an hour?

Unfortunately this affects everyone, including Last.fm subscribers. We're incredibly sorry to have to introduce this limitation, but it's now a requirement of our licensing agreements to allow us to stream music legally.

We've tried to make this as fair as possible, and the behaviour consistent with other streaming services.

You can read about the skip limit in our faq: http://www.last.fm/help/faq?category=98#1000591

Is it Christmas yet?
    http://www.last.fm/christmas
    • aaii 说...
    • 用户
    • 2012年 8月 21日, 11:31

Skip limit a joke

Last.fm once free, now riddled with subscription. Last.fm once could discover new music, now you're limited as you cannot skip tracks. That's the last straw (or should I say limit?) for me.

RIP Last.fm.

• malyfyx 说...
    • 用户
    • 2012年 8月 21日, 11:42

Wow, way to be an ass. There's nothing they can do about it. I'm sorry to hear it as well guys but it's not up to Last.fm to make the decision. As for 'riddled with subscription', be thankful the service exists at all and that some people support us freeloaders by contributing a relatively small amount of money! The ungratefulness of some people boggles me.

• JTLDN 说...
    • 用户
    • 2012年 8月 21日, 12:15

Re: Why can’t I skip more than six times in an hour?

Maddieman said:
    Unfortunately this affects everyone, including Last.fm subscribers. We're incredibly sorry to have to introduce this limitation, but it's now a requirement of our licensing agreements to allow us to stream music legally.

ah... my bad. sorry for blaming last.fm /

that's a shame.

• MrRenaud 说...
    • 用户
    • 2012年 8月 21日, 12:18
    I'm a longtime subscriber and I was a bit disapointed this afternoon when I discovered that skip limit... It's really less fun now.

I like to discover new stuff, but now if I wan to listen to my own radio, there are almost 6000 artists in my library and of course I can't like everything. And it growed that much because I listened to a lot of different radios. The problem with the other radios is that you have to choose tags, or artists, even in a multi-tag radio, and you will listen to songs that have all the tags you specified, and if the tags are too much different maybe the station will quickly be "empty".

So, if I want to listen to my own radio, because I want to be surprised with different kind of music, and not only two or three specific tags, well... I can't skip what I don't like at the moment. I say at the moment, because maybe it's not something really awfull, and maybe I don't want to ban the song. Maybe I just want to skip it for the moment, and find it out later...

Sorry for my ungratefulness if it boggles someone, I'm sure you can't do nothing, but well I'm not really sure why I keep paying. By the way, I'm living in Belgium and I can't even use the Windows Phone app to play music on my smartphone... I just wanted to let you know :)

• aaii 说...
    • 用户
    • 2012年 8月 21日, 12:35
    Apologies if I seemed a bit harsh. It's not to blame last.fm but again these irritating licensing restrictions.

There are so many problems with this "skip limit" feature:

- You have to endure a song for X minutes, if you don't feel like listening to it at the moment.

- Unavoidable to scrobble tracks you take a disliking to. Ban feature? Well this is hardly a viable alternative as your interest may change in the future.

- Last.fm is more than just a streaming service to people, it's a profile & collection of the music they like and listen to. Having songs mixed in there because you HAD to listen to them is not a good strategy.

I'm thankful the last.fm exists, it's just annoying that I now feel put off using this service. For those that pay for a service, you should get what last.fm claim "Uninterrupted radio listening" -- I feel that is misleading to potential customers. There are limitations on the service.

• smashfest 说...
    • 用户
    • 2012年 8月 21日, 13:00
    not cool. i probably won't be renewing my membership. the skip limit is annoying, especially for a pay service. understand the reason why, and i don't blame you or hate you at all, but i'm still pretty upset about it. still love you guys, and love the site. hate that you had to do it, though. f licensing.

• Deoradh 说...
    • 用户
    • 2012年 8月 21日, 13:29
    Sorry guys I appreciate this change is not your fault, but I can’t see a reason to subscribe any-more

• Maddieman 说...
    • 工作人员
    • 2012年 8月 21日, 14:04
    >>> You have to endure a song for X minutes, if you don't feel like listening to it at the moment.

If you click 'start a new station' you can retune into something else (e.g. your mix radio, recommendations, friends, neighbours, tag, etc), and then return to the original station a little later.

>>> Unavoidable to scrobble tracks you take a disliking to.

This shouldn't be an issue - you can turn scrobbling off via the 'AS' button next to the volume control, or in the settings of the desktop app / client. Alternatively, you can retune to another station.

>>> For those that pay for a service, you should get what last.fm claim "Uninterrupted radio listening" -- I feel that is misleading to potential customers. There are limitations on the service.

I'll raise this with the product team.

Is it Christmas yet?
    http://www.last.fm/christmas
  • time for a radio station change?

I left Pandora for these same issues and was impressed by how much new music I found on Last.fm; I'll be re-evaluating my options in the near term as Last.fm seems to be falling into similar pitfalls.

• fun while it lasted!

i can understand all all the legal issues and all that. its just a big shame, i wont be coming a paid subscriber and i am leaving last.fm and finding an alternative.
    thanks for all the goodtimes last.fm and R.I.P.

Dont piss down my back and tell me its raining!
  • Such a shame!

I understand there's nothing you can do about it, but is a step closer to a normal radio (there are still far more features though!).

Skipping was one of the main features so far (besides special stations and personal profiling), and though I don't think it's actually a deal breaker (at least we still have those 6), it might be close to one.

It remains to be seen....

• What makes then Last.fm different than Pandora?

Unlimited skipping was the reason why I never stuck with Pandora. More options to discover new artists without having to create a bunch of radio stations. Ugh.

• This is horrible

I can appreciate that this decision is out of the hands of the fine folks at Last.fm, but this is horrible. It basically kills the service for me. I wish the rightsholders would understand that trying to clamp down on control will not have the effect which they desire.

• From the previous topic; http://www.last.fm/forum/21713/_/2074232/_/18466412
    Banning a track counts towards skipping; if banned tracks are still being selected by the radio, you use up skips faster.

Since currently recommended radio accounts for most of my skips, what station is good for new material (as in tracks not already in my library)?

For banning tracks, the radio algorithms treat artists as similar because of shared names. If gospel or traditional music show up, I would ban them (requiring skips). Really they shouldn't be picked, based on my library (for recommended radio), or artists I choose for other stations.

• Second thought.

At first I was devastated by the news of the skip limit. Although the more I have thought about it, it may not be that bad really.

• @narusylirdnoua: Have a look at http://www.combofm.de/, you might be able to create a station that suits your needs better. For example you could filter your station by tag.

• Scrobbled tracks

Here's one thing about the limit I don't get, or at least I find too bad... After 50% of the song plays, it scrobbles. This adds to my profile, so I have acknowledged to the world that I've listened to it... after that point maybe I'd like to jump ahead to the next song. Does 50% not satisfy the artists/labels/license holders in this regard? Do they not get their money or acknowledged play if you play less than 100% of the song? I understand limiting skipping of songs you don't want to hear, but it's a REAL shame you can't play 50% + of a song, have it scrobble, tell the world you listened to it, and then have the skip AT THAT POINT IN TIME _STILL_ count toward the limit. That's the one thing I'd like to see be addressed.

• Awesome

marekventur said:
    @narusylirdnoua: Have a look at http://www.combofm.de/, you might be able to create a station that suits your needs better. For example you could filter your station by tag.

You are freaking awesome, dude!
    This works perfectly, so far.

• numlawd 说...
    • 用户
    • 2012年 8月 21日, 18:43
    When I used to use the Last.fm radio regularly, I hardly ever skipped or banned any tracks, I just changed to a different tag radio when I wanted to hear something else. (Mainly I now play stuff from my own box and use Last.fm for stats nowadays)

• I hate this

While listening to Mix Radio, I used all of my skips before a song played I wanted to hear. If you start another station or reload, you have to watch another ad.

• aaii 说...
    • 用户
    • 2012年 8月 21日, 19:09

Re: I hate this

whhill1942 said:
    While listening to Mix Radio, I used all of my skips before a song played I wanted to hear. If you start another station or reload, you have to watch another ad.

Not if you use a certain Chrome or Firefox extension. Research on Google ;-)

I for one welcome our new F5 skip overlord.

• Just discovered the skip limit today, as a paying customer. The reason I skip is because too often, the same track comes up. So was kind of surprised.

• Dislike. ):

匿名用户不能张贴消息。请登录创建账户后再到论坛发帖。